Re: CSS3-Lists-20021107 Comments

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 03:37:32 -0800 (PST)
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@niksula.hut.fi>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> What I am suggesting is including a marker keyword that is unambiguously
> the EN DASH character (U+2013).

None of the glyph keywords are unambiguously a particular UNICODE
character. That is intentional. It is expected that some implementations
may simply paint the glpyhs themselves. For example, Mozilla handles the
'disc' glyph by painting an ellipse.

If you want a particular character, you can use the 'content' property:

   li::marker { content: '☺'; }

BTW, I haven't ignored all the other list module comments, I'll get to all
of them eventually. Generally, don't expect me to add new list styles
without very comprehensive algorithms and good reason.