Inheriting computed or other values

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2002 18:00 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org

Responding to me, Ian Hickson wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 26
September 2002 in "Re: Specified values: what are they?"
(<mid:Pine.LNX.4.21.0209261350240.15733-100000@dhalsim.dreamhost.com>):

> > Some properties may inherit from cascaded values, rather than from
> > computed values.
>
> Not in CSS3.

As fantasai noted in <mid:3D93811D.7000006@escape.com> /
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Sep/0172.html>, there
is an extant exception, albeit in a draft.

> It is the intention of the WG (as I understand it) to
> make sure that the computed value is always the one inherited.

This intention can only be fulfilled by the compromise of the meaning of
"computed value" and of the utility of computed values.

Take the example of 'line-height'.  If the Working Group decrees that a
computed value, it will be necessary to further compute the computed
value before rendition.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>
"Burt Reynolds?  What are you doing here?  And