Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:02:01 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Tantek Çelik writes:

> E.g.
>
> br { line-break-after:always }

That would have been my preferred solution, but we never could get it
to work. The BR element, as implemented by Netscape long ago, behaves
in a strange way. It doesn't just cause a line break, it creates empty
lines as well, when there are several BRs in a row.

You cannot fix that by saying that 'line-break-after: always' inserts
both a zero-width space and a line break, because then

    A, B {line-break-after: always}

    <A>... <B>...</B></A>

would cause an empty line.

If anybody can come up with a definition where

    A {line-break-after: always}

causes no empty line, while

    A {line-break-after: always}

does, then I'd be happy.