Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

On 9/5/02 8:48 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>>    br { line-break-after:always }
>
> I've had use for inserting arbitrary newlines into 'content'.
>
>  body:after { content: 'Written by Ian Hickson\A\A9  copyright 2002' }
>
> Don't take that away from me. :-)
>

> (Ok, that's a poor example. My point stands though. With CSS3:
>
>  head > meta[name=author] { string-set: author attr(content); }
>  head > meta[name=copyright] { string-set: copyright attr(copyright); }
>  body:after { content: 'Written by ' string(author)
>                        '\A' string(copyright)
>                        '\A Styled by Foo Style\2122.'; }
>
> ...which _is_ perfectly reasonable.)

It's also perfectly reasonable to apply much more styling/presentation to
such generated content.

But the CSS working group specifically punted on this quite some time ago
and I don't see any particular reason to give line breaking an exception.

If you want to style generated content, I strongly recommend you come up
with a proper solution that does not depend on formatting instruction
character code hackery.

Tantek