Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:56:59 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Incidentally, now that we have ::list-marker, we can use :before and
> content:'' to solve the problem I raised over 2 years ago:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Jun/0008.html
>
> So there is definitely a use for generating empty inline elements.

I was just looking at that yesterday, actually. (And wondering why
list layout is high-security...)

"content: ''" should do what you want even if '' does not generate
an inline since :before is an inline by itself.

Also, if the list margins are line height, you can work around the
problem by using an unnoticeable bit of padding to break the margin
collapse.

~fantasai