Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, fantasai wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > I'll need to think about this in more detail. I think 'content:none' may
> > be made to force 'display' to 'none' for ':before' and ':after' (and
> > certain other CSS3 pseudo-elements) if it is set to 'inline'.
> >
> > (Note: 'none' and "" are not the same, and neither are the same as
> > 'display:none', if 'display' is set to 'block'.)
>
> I think you're making things much more complicated than necessary.
> Having the empty string generate an inline /if/ it's generated
> content but not real content is counterintuitive. Why do you want
> this distinction?

I didn't say it would be different for real content.

   foo { content: ""; display: block; }

...generates a block with one blank line box.

Or did you mean something else?

> > >   If CSS3 extends 'content' to real elements, its initial value
> > >   must be 'auto' (self), not 'none' (nothing). Therefore, the
> > >   initial value of 'content' in CSS2 cannot be 'none'.
> >
> > The initial value will be 'normal', which for elements will compute to
> > 'contents' (the element's children). That's the current line of thinking,
> > anyway.
>
> Why 'normal'?

Because I didn't win the argument to call it 'auto'. :-)

> And why is 'contents' a separate value?

Because ::before can contain 'contents' (if the element itself doesn't).
We need something like this for footnotes. Look for the next version of
the paged media draft in the coming months.