Re: Comments on CSS3: Text LC

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:24:31 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
> Christoph Päper writes:
>>
>>7.2. White-space control
>>
>>| Name: linefeed-treatment
>>
>>I think the property values are self-explaining, but too long. Can you
>>rename treat-as-space -> space, treat-as-zero-width-space -> zero-width,
>>ignore-if-after-linefeed > no-double?
>

> I agree that the names are long, but they are like this in XSL.

There's a lot of extraneous language in there; the values could be a
lot more concise. The problem isn't just that they're long, which is
un-CSS-like, but that they're harder to read and certainly harder to
remember. Is consistency with XSL so important as to override ease
of use?

> PS. I see that the draft still has 'pre-lines' as a value on
> 'white-space' (meaning: collapse white-space and wrap as normal, but
> still honour explicit line breaks). The current preference in the
> working group is to rename it to 'pre-line' (without "s"). But if
> anybody knows a better name...

linespecific?

~fantasai