Re: float

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 01:23:59 +0200
To: WWW-Style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:06:27 +0200, Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no> wrote:

> Trying to implement floats
>> From the CSS2 spec:
> 9.5 Floats
> "....The top of the floated box is aligned with the top of the current
> line
> box...."
> Looking at IE and Netscape, it looks like the top of the float is aligned
> with the BOTTOM of the current line box...??
> And:
> "Any content in the current line before a floated box is reflowed in the
> first available line on the other side of the float."
> Looking at IE and Netscape, it looks like text that is before the float
> (in
> the document) will 'always' be BEFORE the float when rendering.. making
> the
> statement above a never-case issue. ??

Opera works as you expect. Mozilla and MSIE don't.

I just made a nice test case today, with floating parts of list items. IMO,
the positioning of the various parts in all examples on this page should
look the same. But Opera, MSIE 6 and Mozilla never manage to get even one
of them 'right' together--at least one browser is always doing something

The first example show the issue you mention. The third shows an equivalent
issue with positioned content.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek