Re: Re[2]: Lists Module Comments (Technical Note)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Alexander Savenkov wrote:

>> In particular, you give upper-hexadecimal in the same table as
>> upper-alpha, even though they use different algorithms.
>
> Well, we though they use the same algorithm.
>
> *alpha*  *hex*
>  a ---.  00 ---.
>  b    |  01    |
>  ...  |   ...  |
>  z    |  0f    |
> aa <--.  10 <--.
> ab       11

Those lists are quite good examples of why alpha and hex use _different_
algorithms, even ignoring the fact that 'a' has the value '1' and '00' has
the value '0'. With alpha, once you have run out of characters, the first
character is repeated (the symbol for '1', namely 'a'). With hex, two
different characters are used (the symbol for '1' and the symbol for '0').

This is a very important difference.

> The 34th letter of the Armenian alphabet = the symbol for 7000 are
> both represented by two characters.

Ok, thanks.

> The suffix for "-armenian" is U+002e. See further details in the note.

Cool, that's what I used.

>>> has been checked for a number of times. Can you tell us where did you
>>> get different information and what is this information?
>> It was probably based on information from Frank Tang's research.
> Sorry, I've no idea who he is. However please note that at the moment
> there are at least two errors related to 'armenian' value: 1) no
> distinction between upper and lower values; and 2) incorrect
> implementation in Mozilla. Who's fault is this?

1) has been fixed, thanks to your input. The draft (to be published any
day now) will have lower- and upper-armenian.

2) is Frank Tang's fault. :-) He's the one who implemented many of these
systems in Mozilla, and I used his research as a base for a lot of my
algorithms.