Re: alternate style sheets

From: Michal Marek <michal83@email.cz>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:16:57 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

cheeaun01 wrote:

>I wonder if anyone has propose a method
>to specify alternate stylesheets *externally*
>in CSS3? I mean instead of using:
>
>   <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css"
>   href="style.css" title="another css"
>   media="screen" />
>
>why not use like the @import method
>maybe..:
>
>   @alternate url("style.css") screen;
>
>I suppose this ease up the job to add/edit/remove
>alternate style sheets in a web site.
>Just my piece of thought.
>
>--
>cheeaun01

This would cause some problems (not only that it would not be compatible
with older browsers):
- in the document:

   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />

- in style.css:

   @import url("menu.css");
   some style

- in menu.css:

   @alternate url("menu2.css");
   some style

How should the browser interpret this? There is an alternate stylesheet for an imported stylesheet, which would probably change only a part of the visual presentation. Imagine a case, when you have several alternate stylesheets for the stylesheet directly linked to the document, which @import some other stylesheets and those have several @alternate stylesheets. This is obviously too complicated, while the current way of defining alternate stylesheets guarantees, that there are only alternate stylesheets for the whole document.

Michal Marek

http://cyklopraha.cz/