Re: CSS2.x fixed table layout

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:04:44 -0400
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org

>     So I guess my question is actually about how cells and columns
> interact; once that's answered, I can figure out how fixed-layout
> tables will behave.  Oops, one other question: is only the first row
> of a fixed-layout table used to determine widths, or are all rows
> considered?

Only the first row is used for _widths_.  However it's not clear how the
number of columns is determined, e.g. in the following HTML markup:

The HTML specification says that this table has two columns....  The CSS
specification is a little vague.  The question is, of course, "What
are the widths of the three cells?"  And what should happen if an
incremental reflow happens after the first row has been fetched off the
wire but before the second row has been fetched.

Boris
--
Economists state their GNP growth projections to the
nearest tenth of a percentage point to prove they have a