Re: WD-CSS21-20020802 section 8, "Box model", substantive comments

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:58:28 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantekc@microsoft.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

Fantasai wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 14 November 2002 in 'Re:
WD-CSS21-20020802 section 8, "Box model", substantive comments'
(<mid:3DD4227C.7010307@escape.com>), quoting passages defining the word
"may" as used in the CSS2.1 draft.

While I am aware of the given definition, I could not help but feel that
the word "may" was used in its colloquial sense in the passage which I
reproduce here:

    Notably for HTML, user agents may render borders
    for certain elements (e.g., buttons, menus, etc.)
    differently than for "ordinary" elements.

I am asking the editors or the Working Group as a whole to confirm or deny
my suspicion.

If my suspicion is wrong and the word "may" was, in fact, a grant of
permission, I must ask why the editors granted such permission.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>