Re: WD-CSS21-20020802 section 10, "Visual formatting model details", substantive comments

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:17:44 -0500
To: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantekc@microsoft.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

> "'min-width'"
> "Initial:   UA dependent"
>
> I suggest that the initial value be zero.  User agents can easily declare
> their particular minimum in the user agent style sheet.

Nope.  The problem is the following prose after the 4-point algorithm
explaining how 'min-width' influences 'width':

  "The user agent may define a non-negative minimum value for the
   'min-width' property, **which may vary from element to element and
   even depend on other properties**. If 'min-width' goes below this
   limit, either because it was set explicitly, or because it was 'auto'
   and the rules below would make it too small, the user agent may use
   the minimum value as the computed value."

(emphasis mine).  I do not see how that behavior can be achieved with a
UA stylesheet declaration.

Boris