Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

Stefan Goessner (MecXpert) wrote:
> sorry for crossposting.
>
> .. please can someone explain to those of us here at www-svg, what exactly
> is the problem with the X11 colors. personally i use them for over a year
> extensively with my svg files and really don't want to have my code broken
> some time.
>
> sure .. i can start reading all of the thread at www-style .. but a short
> summery of the discussion so far when involving us here would help a lot.

The one sentence summary:

X11 colors use poor, often arbitrary naming choices such as DodgerBlue.

Since 1996 there have been numerous proposals to improve the named
colors to be more intuitive, or to allow one to specify the naming
scheme used.  There is a need for named colors, but many of the X11
names are weak.  It is time to come up with a better set of names, or to
allow the spec. to extend for other naming schemes.

-Dylan

--
Dylan Schiemann
SitePen, Inc.