Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:37:20 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
CC: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, www-style@w3.org

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, 1:57:16 AM, Tantek wrote:

TÇ> On 5/27/02 3:26 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai@escape.com> wrote:

>> If you think X11 name support is important for the future, then I
>> recommend you take Kynn's suggestion and separate it out of raw color
>> values with functional notation. This leaves the syntax open to better
>> naming schemes CSS may want to adopt in the future.

TÇ> Either the X11 colors should be advocated as is, or they should be
TÇ> deprecated as is.  I don't think it makes any sense to go with introducing a
TÇ> new syntax for something you want deprecated.

Thanks for the sanity there, Tantek. Of course, redesigning the past
is fine if the only object is a stimulating discussion. In terms of
actual implementations though, adding a new syntax for an instantly
deprecated feature that is already consistently implemented for the
last six years is - well, solipsism.