Re: Last call comments on CSS3 module: color; musing and a transparent question

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:18:02 +0100
To: Coises <Randy@coises.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Coises wrote:

> Is there any way to create the effect of text "masking" a (tiled) image?
> (Either negatively, as a "punch-through"; or positively, as a "stencil"?)

CSS authors are always finding surprising ways of doing things previously
thought to be impossible (polygons anyone?) but I'm going to go out on a limb
here and say that no, it's not current possible to achieve a punch-through
effect using CSS.

It's certainly not something that the spec explicitly allows for.

I'm not sure how you could easily introduce it using the current painting model.
How far should you punch through? What does it mean to punch through something
that is punched through? etc.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to