Re: canvas <html> <body>

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:48:09 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Andrew Clover <and@doxdesk.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
This entire thread is a rehash of a thread of about a year ago[1].

On 5/22/02 10:07 AM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Andrew Clover wrote:
>>
>> Okay. If you take that interpretation, they are equivalent (nearly *)
>> - and useless. If this is correct, there is no way an element's height
>> or vertical positioning can be based on the height of the viewport
>> without using fixed positioning.
>
> Unless we add more prose to the spec that says that percentages on the root
> element are relative to the viewport dimensions.

That is precisely what was documented as intention and suggestion by one of
the editors of CSS2[2], and proposed as an explicit erratum to CSS2[3], and
even Rex agreed[4] (with the caveat that the errata be made in CSS2.1 -
which I agree with).

Tantek

[1]
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Jul/0023.html