Re: canvas <html> <body>

From: <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 00:46:08 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-style@w3.org
Ian Hickson responded to me:

> > However, a root element, such as 'html' in an XHTML document, will always have a
> > computed 'display' of 'block'.
>
> I do not believe this is the case.

Indeed, I am now unsure how I concocted that piece of misinformation.

> The 'display' property applies to all
> elements, including the root element. Setting the root element to
> 'display:table' is very useful for same layouts.

I agree about table layout, but now I have a question.  What happens when the root
element has "display: inline"?  What is the computed value?  What becomes of "display:
list-item"?

This is coming back to the question of the initial containing block.  If the initial containing
block contains the root element's box(es), the root element could conceivably have a
computed 'display' value of 'inline'.  If the root element must establish the initial
containing block, 'inline' is an unacceptable value for its 'display'.--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>