Re: Custom property names: property name namespaces?

On 5/5/02 11:23 AM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> This prevents chaos as caused by IE4's 'position' implementation, which was
> based on a draft which changed before CSS2 reached PR stage, and meant that
> documents written for IE4 totally broke on compliant implementations. This is,
> in fact, one of the main events that spurred on these guidelines.

Ian, please do not attempt to rewrite history that occurred well before you
were even involved with CSS.

IE4 implemented position (and top, left) as agreed and designed by the CSS
WG in the last WD-positioning draft.

There were "editorial" changes made when that draft was included in CSS2
which broke the functionality.  These changes were made by individual
editors (who were well meaning enough, trying to alter the model to be
better in their minds, but were actually counterintuitive to authors).
These "editorial" changes were not changes that were officially agreed to in
the working group and thus should not have been made, but were able to make
it to REC due to not enough people paying attention (implementers assuming
things didn't change if the WG hadn't officially discussed, agreed and
minuted changes), and because there was no "Check Reality" (CR) stage yet,
along with proper CR exit criteria.

It is more correct to say that mistakes like this in CSS2 are what spurred
the CR exit criteria that we have for Selectors, CSS Mobile Profile 1.0, and
AFAIAC, every other CR draft that the CSS WG will produce.

Tantek