Re: What is initial containing block? (was Re: canvas <html> <body>)

ewexler@stickdog.com wrote:
> Ian Hickson responded to Sigurd Lerstad:
>> The <html> element is the only child of the infinite canvas. It is whatever box
>> it is set to using the 'display' property (and hopefully in CSS2, the 'position'
>> and 'float' properties).

(Sorry, typo, I meant CSS3.)

> So we must resolve the conflict about initial containing blocks between CSS2:9.1.2 and
> CSS2:10.1.

I believe the intent of the authers was that the initial containing block be the
root element, and the root element is contained by a UA-defined containing
block, although that should indeed be cleared up.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to