Questions about WD-css3-userint-20000216

From: <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:56:29 -0500
To: <bert@w3.org>, <tantekc@microsoft.com>, <peter@linss.com>, <sho@macromedia.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Hi,

I am writing on behalf of the WAP Forum's Wireless Application
Environment working group.

Section 18 of the WAP Forum's Wireless CSS spec:

 [1] http://www1.wapforum.org/tech/terms.asp?doc=WAP-239-WCSS-20011026-a.pdf

defines the wap-accesskey CSS property.  This property is based on
the key-equivalent property defined in:

 User Interface for CSS3 - W3C Working Draft 16 Feb 2000
 [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-userint#key-equivalent

Since the intent of [1] is to align as closely as possible with [2],
we request your (and/or the CSS Working Group) feedback on the
following questions:

1. Regarding the following part of the spec:

[[
A <key-press-combination> is one or more characters with one or
more modifier keys separated by dashes ('-').

The characters must be specified in uppercase or as entities -
the actual user input for the key-equivalency is case insensitive.
]]

a. What is the meaning of "entities" in this context?

b. Are non-alpha/numeric characters/keys (e.g. the '*' or '#' keys)
 supported?  If so, how are these characters encoded?

c. Why "must" the character be specified in uppercase?  Is the
 expectation that a conforming User Agent would ignore the
 property if the character was given in lowercase?

2. Is the use of the '.' in following example in section 5.2.2
 legal:

   input.cancel { key-equivalent: esc cmd-. N }

3. What is the status of [2]?

Thanks,

Art Barstow
---