Re: Comments on CSS3 backgrounds WD

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:04:04 +0000
To: Andrew Clover <and@doxdesk.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Andrew Clover wrote:
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-background-20020219/)
>
> All the new properties seem to be missing 'inherit' values. I'm not sure
> about the usefulness of either of the following properties, but anyway...:

I'm not awake enough to answer your other questions, but this bit I can...
'inherit' is no longer going to be explicitly mentioned on any value list, since
all properties have it. It will instead be moved to the syntax module (or the
cascade module, I forget).

The new value 'initial' is also supposed to be only mentioned in the syntax
module, with 'inherit'; that it was mentioned in the background module at all is
an error.

The 'initial' keyword is exactly equivalent to setting the property to its
initial value, as given by the "Initial Value:" line on the table. So for
example for 'background-image' the value 'initial' is exactly equivalent to
'none', but for 'color' the result of the value 'initial' depends on the UA.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to