Re: RFC: ability to assign images to corners

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:12:50 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
fantasai writes:
[proposal omitted]

This covers a lot of ground and I have to read it in more detail, but
I think I noticed one thing missing: the ability to neither clip nor
stretch the images, but put space in between.

This might be just another keyword for border fit.

Compare, for example, how MacIE draws the 'dotted' border style: the
dots remain perfectly round and line up in the corners, but the space
between them is varied subtly.

(We plan to recommend, though not require, this for dots and dashes in
CSS3.)

Another idea to consider, discovered by Tantek Celik, is that in many
cases, the images are mirrored or rotated versions of each other.
Including the possibility to mirror and rotate images in the syntax
might or might not make the syntax easier.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA