root / html element height

From: <mvouwerkerk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 02:56:28 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>

What should be the height of the html element? I have found that most
browsers make it as high as the viewport when there is little or no content,
I checked this by reading the height with javascript. Is this stretching to
viewport height the correct behaviour?

What should happen when there's a lot of content? Should the root element
become as high as the content requires it to be, or should it become no
bigger than the viewport and show a scrollbar for the extra content?
Explorer does one thing, Mozilla does something else, but what is the
correct or recommended way?

regards,
Michael