Re: CSS3 module: lists question

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:14:51 +0100
To: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>

Christian Roth wrote:

> thank you for the comments. I guess it means that
>
>>   list > list-item::marker { ... }
>
> can be used directly in the style attribute

No, I intended to suggest that this be used in an external stylesheet.

>> Don't use style attributes.
>
> Can I interpret this as that the recommended practice is to use the ID
> attribute of an element instead to extract all styles and place it into
> an associated stylesheet?

No, the practice I would recommend is to use semantic markup and to then style
it using contextual rules.

For example, instead of:

    <list style="...">
       <list-item style="..."> ... </list-item>
    </list>

...you would say:

    list { ... }
    list > list-item { ... }

...and:

    <list>
       <list-item> ... </list-item>
    </list>

Stylistic information is totally separate from structural information. You don't
  know, when writing the content, which elements you will be needing to style.

 > I am talking only about styles that would occur
> once in the document and can not be 'class'ified semantically.

I am not aware of any styles that couldn't be done semantically. Could you give
a specific example?

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to