First impressions from a CSS newbie

From: Charles Wiltgen <lists@wiltgen.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:47:30 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hello,

I'm in the process of migrating my site to XHTML/CSS.  I started with my
resume, which (for reference sake) is at <http://wiltgen.net/cv/>.

As someone new to CSS, it was an interesting challenge to get something
that worked the same in IE/Mac 5, Chimera (I think IE/Win under Virtual PC
is faster than Netscape and Mozilla on my lil' 500 MHz iBook), IE/Win 5 and
IE/Win 6.  Most of the cross-browser differences I saw seemed to be related
to spacing, and I solved them by overriding defaults.

I used GoLive 6, which has good support for CSS.  Still, CSS still doesn't
feel like GoLive's "native" method of formatting.

My two biggest problems:

(1)  Although the page validates as correct, I'm not sure that I've done
things in the best (yet most compatible) way possible.  For example, I feel
like I'm still using too many tables for positioning purposes.  I'm sure
that to some extent, this is an art.

(2)  Printing.  I was really disappointed to learn that I have basically no
control over where lines break.  I tried setting widows/orphans, but with no
apparent effect.  The end result is that I now have something that prints as
intended only for IE/Win users that haven't changed their print settings.
Yuck!

Cheers,

-- Charles Wiltgen