Re: Hanging indent

fantasai wrote to Bert Bos:

> You did not understand my example. Look at it again, and assume I
> want a hanging indent--one that inherits, just like a regular indent.
> Look at the rules--carefully, and separately. What does each one
> express, and why does the combination create a problem?

The example was as follows.

| a, b, c {display: block; padding: 3%; border: solid thin}
| a {padding-left: 2em; text-indent: -2em;}
|
| <a>
|   <b>
|     <c>This is some text that should have a hanging indent.</c>
|   </b>
| </a>

The first rule set creates padding and borders for three nested 'block' elements.  The
second rule set attempts a hanging indent by setting a negative 'text-indent' and
widening the padding.  The 'text-indent' inherits from the 'a' element to the 'c' element,
taking effect on the content of the 'c' element.  The padding set on the 'a' element,
however, does not inherit.  Thus the padding compensation intended for the jutting first
line is on the wrong element and the jutting first line is liable to cross borders, looking
quite ugly.

> The only valid objection you have brought against text-block-indent
> is that it involves a new property. I have brought up four separate
> problems with the current workaround.

You have a clear case against the current workaround.  It is apparent that if hanging
indents are to be accomplished, some extra mechanism is needed.  The big remaining
question is whether the Working Group considers hanging indent an effect important
enough to merit its own mechanism.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>