Re: List Module Offering

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:54:05 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello Alexander,

On Monday, July 29, 2002 you wrote:

> Hello Daniel, everyone,

>>> For example, "lower-latin" and "upper-latin" are strictly mapped to
>>> the corresponding writing system while traditional Russian numbering
>>> is not that strict in this respect. One might omit the letter 'yo'
>>> (7th letter of the alphabet), the letter "i kratkoye' (11th letter),
>>> and some others. In fact it is a commonplace to number lists without
>>> these letters, *but* it is strictly speaking illegal.

>> Out of curiosity, does omitting these two letters reduce the Russian
>> alphabet to a "classical" or "traditional" form?

> Nothing of the kind.

[..]

But it is the case with some Latin numbering systems. I've seen many
(well, ok, not that many) lists were the letter J was omitted. The
practice seems to be much less common since the intrcuction of the
electronic text processor...

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@iname.com

Mot du Jour:
After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.