user defined lists (was Re: List Module Offering)

From: Daniel Yacob <locales@geez.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:00:10 -0400
To: w3@hotbox.ru
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> Name: 'list-style-skip'
> Value: <Comma separated list of Unicode values> | none
> Initial: none
> Applies to: all elements with 'display: list-item'
> Inherited: yes
> Percentages: N/A
> Media: visual
> Computed value: specified

I thought this was a very useful idea and as I imagined uses for it I
found that I soon wanted 'list-style-insert' and a 'list-style-substitute'
to further modify predefined list types.

What might be a better all-in-one solution would be to allow users to
define their own list styles (I can hear the screams now :-).  This would
be very liberating to designers who need special purpose list styles or
who can't wait for CSS4, CSS5, etc to offer new predefined lists.

Something along the lines of:

Name: 'list-style-items'
Value: <Comma separated list of Unicode values> | none
 :
 :

example:

OL.myList { list-style-items: xWXYZ, xZYXW, xXYZW, xYZWX, xZWXY, etc; }

/Daniel