Re: a:hover and a:active and named anchors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:28:53 -0400
To: Jerry Baker <jerrybaker@attbi.com>
cc: Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>

> Although I might be ignorant of some other purpose of which I haven't
> thought, why can't named anchors be specifically excluded from :hover
> and :active?

Because CSS is markup-language-independent and thus has no concept of a
"named anchor".  All it knows is that there is a <a> element.  Any other
semantics are attached to the <a> by the document language, which
happens to be HTML in this case.

Keep in mind that CSS is not an adjunct to HTML but an adjunct to
XML-based markup languages in general.

Boris
--
    "What the hell are you getting so upset about?  I
thought you didn't believe in God."

                     --Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"