Re: a:hover and a:active and named anchors

From: Jerry Baker <jerrybaker@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:16:19 -0600
To: Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Stuart Ballard says:

> I agree that having a:hover and a:active match <a name=""> is a problem
> (and one that we wouldn't have if html had been designed sanely, with
> different elements for different purposes). That's why I suggested new
> pseudoclasses, so that legacy behavior could be preserved for :hover and
> :active, but effects like the above would still be possible.
>
> Stuart.

Although I might be ignorant of some other purpose of which I haven't
thought, why can't named anchors be specifically excluded from :hover
and :active?

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but having a:hover and a:active
match named anchors seems as silly as allowing HTML comments to have
:hover and :active states. The two elements are identical in behavior
from the perspective of end users.