Re: a:hover and a:active and named anchors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:46:22 -0400
To: Jerry Baker <jerrybaker@attbi.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org

> There are two potential solutions that are both logical and reasonable:
> 1) Specifically exclude named anchors from :hover and :active states.
> 2) Require that an element be able to accept input from a pointing
> device before allowing it to have :hover and :active states.

Given the document-language-independence of CSS, solution #2 would be
the only acceptable one of those two, and only if it takes into account
scriptable mouse event handlers attached to the content node in

    "What the hell are you getting so upset about?  I
thought you didn't believe in God."
    "I don't," she sobbed, bursting violently into
tears, "but the God I don't believe in is a good God, a
just God, a merciful God.  He's not the mean and stupid
God you make Him out to be."

                     --Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"