Re: Feedback on Media Queries CR

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:48:45 +0200
To: George Lund <george@lundbooks.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach George Lund:

 > >I don't think the Media Queries specification (MQ) addresses all
 > >presentation problems, and it doesn't solve any one problem fully.
 > >However, it gives authors a way to express presentation preferences
 > >that are beyond CSS and well into JavaScript-land. Using JavaScript
 > >and proprietary interfaces, much of the MQ functionality can be
 > >achieved. So, if MQ appears hostile, JS is the target.
 >
 > Why would it be an achievement to persuade authors not to use JS for
 > such things, only to provide them with an 'approved' method to replicate
 > the same (misguided) attempts at pixel-perfect control in CSS?

In general, I believe a declarative solution is better than an
imperative solution. You argue that authors are misguided in trying to
influence the presentation at this level. I don't necessarily disagree
with you, but I see the horrors of "dynamic HTML" on the web everyday
and don't want to condemn authors into JS for wanting to reuse content
on many devices.

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª