Re: CSS3-box: margin-outside and the cascade

From: Coises <Randy@coises.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:34:52 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org

[Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:43:02 +0100] Ian Hickson:
>fantasai wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-box-20010726/#the-margin :
[...]
>This is a known error in the spec. Assume the margin-outside and -inside
>properties have a new value like "defer" (which is their initial value). The
>margin is then established by looking first at the appropriate margin-outside/
>-inside, and if that is "defer" then the appropriate -before/-after/-start/-end,
>and if that is "defer" then the appropriate -top/-right/-bottom/-left.
>
>I don't recall what we decided to call this value. Any suggestions?

Yes: drop the -inside/-outside entirely and add:

     Name: margin-mirror
     Value: none | horizontal | vertical
     Initial: 0
     Applies to: all elements
     Inherited: no
     Media: paged

     none:       Margins do not depend on whether the page is odd or even.
     horizontal: Even pages are rendered as if the specified values for
                 margin-left and margin-right were interchanged (for
                 binding pages at the left or right).
     vertical:   Even pages are rendered as if the specified values for
                 margin-top and margin-bottom were interchanged (for
                 binding pages at the top).

     For this purpose, "odd" and "even" pages are determined by counting
     from 1, which is assigned to the first page of the formatted document
     (regardless of  whether the entire document is printed or otherwise
     rendered in any particular operation).

I don't see margin-before/-after/-start/-end in the cited spec, so I don't
know what to say about those.
--
Randall Joseph Fellmy aka Randy@Coises.com