Re: pause-before property for presentations

Ian Hickson, on 7/11/02 1:28 AM, wrote:

 > Dave Raggett wrote:
 >>
 >> I am currently using Linux and would very much like to be able to
 >>  use XHTML and CSS for presentations. The @media projection {...}
 >>  feature provides the basic mechanism for dividing an XHTML
 >> document into slides when used with the page-break-before
 >> property. What's missing is a means to hide sections until the
 >> presenter hits the space bar or clicks the mouse etc.
 >
 > This is an interesting idea.
 >
 > Would your 'pause-before' property take an integer as a value,
 > letting all elements with a particular value switch from
 > display:none to their display value (or from visibility:hidden to
 > their display value?) when the space bar (or equivalent mechanism)
 > is hit?
 >
 > Maybe the property could also take a time value, thus allowing
 > content to be rendered at specific times after loading.
 >
 > Unfortunately, a common effect wanted by authors of slides is an
 > animation. A simple property couldn't really provide for the wealth
 > of animation effects used by authors.
 >
 > Might a better name for the property be 't-index' or 'pause-until'?
 >
 > The following is a more comprehensive proposal based on the
 > comments above:

 > .. proposal snipped ...

Has author scripting gone out of fashion - because surely it could be
used to achieve the effect without too much difficulty?

Or is it the aim of CSS to take over basic dynamic effects on the
grounds that these are presentational?

OK, I know a lot of users have scripting turned off in their browsers
because of security fears, or because they're simply trying to avoid
tiresome animations, but I assume Dave was looking for something to
use for internal presentations.

And besides, if CSS starts introducing more dynamic effects, then more
users are also going to start turning off CSS in their browsers.

--
Regards,
Val Sharp - Edinburgh