Re: CSS in XML format ?

On Thursday 11 July 2002 02:17, Patrick Andries wrote:
> De: "Jan Roland Eriksson" <jrexon@newsguy.com>
>
> > CSS is a "non procedural, descriptive only" language, it shall stay that
> > way of course (advocating this to the current CSS WG, if it helps).
>
> I do not understand how this contradicts its syntax being XML. Could you
> explain ?

It doesn't contradict it directly, but it does express the idea that CSS-X as
the main syntax for CSS is impractical for a number of things. The nice and
compact syntax works well for humans and computers alike. With the XML syntax
the only thing that is made clear is the parse tree. And that's useful to
computers alone. Look at RelaxNG for instance, the XML representation is
already very useable but still a more compact language was devised to make it
easier on humans. The computers don't care, that syntax can still be
converted to XML. Why don't you just do the same with CSS and show the world
your results if they're good? The tools are there, and all this time spent
arguing could have been spent implementing.

> > It's about understanding to use the right tool for the job at hand, the
> > "bandwagon" fools a lot of people to think in opposite ways.
>
> Yes, yes. I'm sure those "fooled by the bandwagon" appreciate.
>
> Let's stick to explaining why XML is incompatible with the « non
> procedural, descriptive only » nature of CSS.

Now, instead of sliding into an endless thread that will achieve nothing
because 1) the people that aren't interested in CSS-X won't become interested
and 2) the people that are won't cease to be, can't we just leave it at
rather simple terms?

If you're interested in CSS-X, then please prove to the world (or at least to
yourselves) that it's useful by implementing it. It's not hard. What's the
point in trying to convince people that have no use for it anyway?

--
Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> -- for hire: http://robin.berjon.com/
  The only sensible way to estimate the stability of a Windows server