Re: CSS in XML format ?

From: Patrick Andries <pandries@iti.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:59:26 -0700
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Message d'origine -----
De: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>

> Patrick Andries wrote:
>  > I would like to do convert strict XHTML + CSS documents to some other
>  > format using XSLT.
>
> What other format?

CGML (California Generic Markup Language, no joke : some legacy format) and
FO, currently.

> Is it a presentational format?

Yes, in both cases.

> I highly recommend using Perl with the XML::Parser and SAX::CSS
> modules (or any of the numerous other XML and CSS modules).
>Unless you
> already know XSLT as well as some [1], then Perl is going to be a lot
> easier for you.

Sorry, I don't know Perl and know XSLT.

> CSS is not a tree-like language, XML is not suitable for representing
> the content of CSS.

Could you explain this part ? This sounds interesting (fondamental).

> Especially don't fall prey to the notion that because your tool (XSLT)
> has limitations (only being able to handle XML), everything should fit
> those limitations. Paraphrasing an old saying: "When all you have is a
> hammer, you want everything to be a nail."

It remains to be proven what has limitations (question above) : the syntax
of CSS excluding it from processing by W3C standards or XSLT.

P. A.