Re: CSS in XML format ?

From: Lachlan Cannon <luminosity@members.evolt.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:03:08 +1000
To: Patrick Andries <pandries@iti.qc.ca>
CC: www-style@w3.org

>>XSL is already in XML format, while CSS has it's own unique one. I find
>>the syntax of CSS to be much much more intuitive for what it does, and
>>would strongly object to it being rewritten in xml.
>

> Yes, I have heard this argument. Right now, having to convert it, I'm not at
> all convinced of its strength...

So because you run into an area where it's not conveniant everyone
should have to use a different one? Also, I don't see how future
versions being written in xmlese would help you with what you're doing now.

If the data was going to be transformed using XSLT, and presentation
mattered (and I still don't see why), then it should have been marked up
with XSL... or at least have an equivalent XSL sheet there.

> I see two schools of thought : the style sheet syntax must be terse and
> intuitive for human conception or the style sheet syntax should be in XML to
> be easily processable, verbosity is of no consequence since style sheets are
> more and more produced automatically or through an GUI interface (my case at
> least).

There are two style-sheet languages. Both choose one of these paths.
There's no reason to force them both onto it.

> I did say transition, I don't see why one version of CSS could not be
> expressed using both syntaxes while mentioning that XML will become the
> future standard syntax.

Because all the browsers which are out now and do a fine job of
displaying CSS would become locked out of displaying ANYTHING from that
next version of CSS, even the stuff they support now, totally unnecessarily?

> You mean FO ? Unfortunately, I do not control the XHTML that I need to
> convert automatically. And these many files (constantly new ones are being
> created by the customer) use CSS !

Have you thought about using something *other* than XSLT then?

--
Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/