Re: multi-column specification

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:59:48 +0100
To: Jilbruke Collins <jilbruke@squiz.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Jilbruke Collins:

 > not sure if anyone has discussed this before, this is a huge site, but
 > perhaps a useful addition to the multicolumn specification is to allow the
 > width of the columns, and the height of the columns to be specified, giving
 > the browser the job of deciding how many columns the text block needs to
 > spill into...

The proposed model [1] gives you half of what you're asking for,
namely that browses decice how many columns there will be based on the
available space. E.g.:

DIV {
  column-count: auto;
  column-width: 10em;
}

You're also asking for a way to set the height of columns, e.g.

DIV {
  column-count: auto;
  column-width: 10em;
  column-height: 300px;
}

Or, you could use the currently defined "height" property:

DIV {
  column-count: auto;
  column-width: 10em;
  height: 300px;
}

In either case you end up with an overconstrained model where you only
have room for a finite amount of text. The question becomes: in what
direction do you grow, and why?

We may be starting to implement multicol in Opera now, so I'm happy to
see a discussion on this topic.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol

Cheers,

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª