Re: Rendering question

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:15:18 -0500
To: Web style list <www-style@w3.org>
Rust Randal wrote:

> If i set the "display" property of a <div> to "none," does the
User Agent
> STILL render the image?  Or does it just skip over it?

The specifications of CSS contain the definitive answer (CSS1:5.6.1
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#display>, CSS2:9.2.5
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#display-prop>).
 There is no need to ask on a list.

If one needs to ask a question of this sort, the appropriate forum
is <news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets>.  Of
course, the seeker of knowledge is strongly urged to read the
FAQs (<http://www.css.nu/faq/index.html>) before posting,
lest the raging Flavell strike.

> The reason for the question is that a client has requested a
"text only"
> version of the site, which is fine, but if I can use one page for
both
> versions, rather than constructing two separate sites, by
simply using
> Javascript to show/hide images, then that would be great.

If you have done a decent job as a document creator, and if
your client's user agent is not severely broken, a
document referencing images should render acceptably even
when images are not rendered.

In order to show and hide images, I suggest a number of
alternate style sheets.  JavaScript would be my last resort.

--
Etan Wexler