RE: css layout should be symmetrical

> From: Henri Sivonen [mailto:hsivonen@niksula.hut.fi]

> On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 04:21 , Vadim Plessky wrote:
>
> > I hope my "should" was meaning that you *can* use CSS2 tables in
> > HTML, but
> > that's not recommended.
>
> But why?

Because if you need tables in html you should use table tags, with one
exception being use of XHTML modularization (not applicable in html4).

> I know "layout tables" aren't very popular here, but:
>
> What's wrong with the CSS2 table layout model compared to CSS
> positioning? Isn't it easier to create scalable and stretchy layouts
> using the table model? It seems to me that it is more difficult to
> create scalable layouts using CSS positioning.

Table Layout and Positioning where designed and should be used for quite
different purposes. That's why z-index has nothing to do with table
layouts ;-)

> IMO, moving from strechy tables to pixel-based positioning just
> because layout tables are considered harmful is going out of the
> frying pan into the fire.

Using a table model for layout is just wrong and although this isn't the
place to argue about it in the first place, the tools for a designer to
use for layout are the default document flow and CSS properties designed
for this purpose. BTW, positioning is "pixel-based" only if you use
pixel units.

Continuing this thread privately or on an appropriate mailing list/forum
would be much appreciated. www-style is for technical discussions and
comments on the specs and their development; a deep understanding of the
specs is a perquisite.

Kindest regards,

Manos