Re: CSS, css, etc. [css layout should be symmetrical]

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:35:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello Vadim,

On Wednesday, February 20, 2002 you wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 18:10, Ian Hickson wrote:

> | [..] The special properties were added so that table-like grid layout
> | could be done in CSS for _any_ markup language, including HTML and XHTML.

> Theoretically, that's right.
> But I did some research in that direction - and it shows that neither Mozilla
> nor MS IE can render CSS2 'table-*' properties. Konqueror handles it much
> better but still fails on some tetss.
> Well, to be fare: MS never said that they support CSS2.
> Can you explain Mozilla's position on this, please?

Mozilla offers at least some support, as does Opera. I've not
extensively tested this, but the code example I gave earlier
transforms a list into a single row table in Mozilla and Opera:

ul {
  display: table;
  margin-left: auto;
  margin-right: auto;
  padding: 0;
  border: 1px solid black;
  border-spacing: .3em;
}

li {
  display: table-cell;
  border: 1px solid black;
  padding: .3em;
}

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@iname.com

Mot du Jour:
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail