Re: css layout should be symmetrical

"L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu> wrote on 2/19/02 1:41:19 PM:

>I disagree.  For many documents that contain user interface, the best
>way to describe a layout using the existing features of CSS uses the
>table display types..

>The TABLE, TR, TH, TD, elements in HTML are for representing tabular
>data.  The display types used to display something shouldn't need to
>convey the meaning (semantics) -- the markup should already be doing
>that.

David, I don't really disagree with anything you've said, except that you
seem to be making a distinction between using the HTML table elements to
describe layout and using CSS table display types on other elements (i.e. div
and span).  In fact there is no distinction.  And according to the CSS 2 Rec
those display properties do convey semantics and are expressly
contraindicated for HTML  In summary, in HTML a table is a table, so if you
need to use a table for layout, do so, but there is no using a table without
using a table.

On a related note, someone just reminded me of a post that you made in the
previous discussion on this topic that summarizes the situation very well.
The second paragraph in particular presents a good overview.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Oct/0172.html