The table display values (Re: css layout should be symmetrical)

From: Jonny Axelsson <jax@opera.no>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:55:06 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
19.02.02 17:24:25, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@iname.com> wrote:

>Why? I don't understand Vadim's point that one shouldn't use the CSS2
>display properties to achieve a grid like layout.

Neither do I. It *is* in most cases bad form to use CSS in a way that
doesn't degrade gracefully. This is most likely to be done with positioning
or possibly float, and less likely with the display property (apart from
careless use of "none" and in some cases the table values).

That many current and future UAs don't/won't support table display is not
much of a problem, and neither are UAs that don't support CSS at all or has
the support turned off. Buggy support, like notoriously Netscape 4 and
Internet Explorer 3, now that's another story...

Jonny Axelsson
Documentation,
Opera software