Re[2]: css layout should be symmetrical

From: Eric Costello <eric@schwa.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:07:46 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On Saturday, February 16, 2002, 12:47:46 PM, Ian wrote:

> Jesse McCarthy wrote:
>  >
>> What is wrong with a simple 2D grid model of layout powered by CSS (by 2D I
>> don't mean to dismiss the stacking properties)?

> CSS does have a complex 2D grid model:

>     http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html

> I am working on a simpler model.

Oh, I am very very very interested in that. The table display
properties you mention are not even recommended for layout:

"User agents may ignore these 'display' property values for HTML
documents, since authors should not alter an element's expected
behavior."

Would you care to share what new simpler approach you are taking to a
CSS grid model?

Eric

Eric Costello
mailto:eric@schwa.com