Re: css layout should be symmetrical

Hello Hoyt, dear list members,

Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2002 22:49 schrieb Hoyt, Phil:
> I'm beginning to think that css layout should be totally and completely
> symmetrical.
I think it already is quite symmetical.

> That's to say that, for example, it should be possible to have <th>s at
> top, left, right and bottom of a table - or at least two dimensions
> simultaneously. I just finished making a table that had a row at the top
> and a column at the left that were both structurally headers, and I'm sure
> I'm not alone. Colgroups are not the same thing - more like a parallel of
> tbody.
What's the point? I think I won't understand this until you show me a source
code example.

> Similarly, it should be as easy (and also take a parallel or identical set
> of commands) to centre a block horizontally as vertically. I think it was
> pointed out in the "How is it possible to devise such a feeble system"
> thread that this is not currently the case.
Using a table with width and height properties and cells with text-align and
vertical-align properties this can already be done, though this will be
improved in CSS Level 3 as far as I read the working drafts.

> Part of the reason for this, beside convenience, is to fully support
> languages that are read in different directions than English. The fact that
> inline elements line up from right-to-left while block elements line up
> from top-to-bottom clearly demonstrates a bias in favour of languages that
> read left-to-right and top-to-bottom.
I think it already is the case that CSS is capable of layouting other
writings than left-right / top-bottom.

The following properties in CSS Level 2 take care of this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#direction
direction and unicode-bidi.

How inline elements line up depends of the direction property of their
container.

Greetings
--
Christian Wolfgang Hujer