RE: Browser support for downloadable fonts in CSS

From: Chris Wilson <cwilso@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:09:47 -0800
To: "Vadim Plessky" <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>, "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Vadim Plessky [mailto:lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru] asked:
>I just wonder if someone created a browser (User Agent) which can
support
>normal TrueType (.tff) or PS Type1 (.pfb) fonts?
>Typical scenario: you click on page, browser downloads TTF font,
installs it,
>and page can be displayed with best-to-view font.

Font foundry companies tend to get a bit upset at font embedding schemes
that don't pay some deference to their intellectual property rights -
e.g., check the "embeddable?" bit in OpenType files before sharing, and
protect against embedding fonts being fully used/installed when
downloaded.  That's why we utilized Embedded OpenType in IE - not
because we couldn't install TTFs, but because we can provide a measure
of security and IPR protection with it.

-Chris Wilson