Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

From: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:01:00 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

Shelby wrote on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 5:43:20 PM:

> My vote is wait for sentence parsing in UA.
> [...]
> If you agree, then the next challenge is coming up with a good model
> for sentence spacing.

I guess I agree, but I'm not so sure it isn't all a pipe dream.
Assuming for a minute it isn't, one solution seems natural to me: A
::sentence pseudo-element, similar to ::first-line and ::first-letter.
Spaces between sentences could be accomplished with padding-right or
generated content via ::after. If it's required in other languages (I
only speak English), ::before or padding-left could also be used. With
padding the spaces won't be copied and it will be impossible to mimic
exact double spacing, since you have to know what typeface is being
used to determine how wide its space glyph is. Generated content seems
better to me (but they should both be allowed, along with other
appropriate properties).

--
John