Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:43:20 -0600
To: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

>I agree neither solution is good, but I think an end of sentence
>character is better. The ideal solution would be a UA that recognizes
>sentences without "extra" markup or content, but I'm not at all
>confident of that becoming a reality in the short run. Let's hope I'm
>wrong. :)

My vote is wait for sentence parsing in UA.

I would also vote for specifying the sentence style(s) in CSS3 (at least
spacing), then let UA worry about rendering them (or not) in due time.   I
think CSS3 can take the lead, since sentence markup or EOS will be a
brittle, inferior, incorrect, and temporary solution.

If you agree, then the next challenge is coming up with a good model for
sentence spacing.

-Shelby Moore