Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mira@cc.jyu.fi>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:24:32 -0500 (EST)
To: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Shelby Moore wrote:

>>>End of sentence character.
>>
>>Do you mean that one would use style like
>>	sentence-end-of-character: ".";
>
> No I think we were referring to a new EOS character, e.g. &eos;

If we start putting extra characters to point out where sentence borders
are, why not just markup it correctly? For example: <s>This is a

That way we can use CSS we have today to style the text as we like and
we don't have the same problems we have with the <br> today.

> In my last response, I stated that I think sentence parsers are better way
> to go.  And that I bet parsers exist, even I don't have time to research them.

Sentence parsers sound great, but I'm afraid we aren't seeing any of
those in any browser in next N+2 years. Probably never, if the only
reason to have them is to have slight improvement in rendering. In
addition, such a parser should be able to decipher incorrect grammar and
typing mistakes to be usable in normal web pages.

--
Mikko